It’s #Project3000 update time! As you’ll have read in my previous posts, the concept is simple -the average home has approximately 300,000 single items in (crazy, right?!). The idea is that you get rid of 1% of that total – being 3000.
November and December have been pretty poor on the decluttering front. Our work life has been hectic today the least so tidying has gone out the window!
I used the days between Christmas and New Year to have a mini blitz of a couple of areas. I have managed to declutter:
- 15 scarves (I now have my Gucci scarf, a new Ted Baker scarf, a blanket scarf plus a pink shimmery scarf from my brother),
- 8 empty beauty product boxes that I seem to have squirrelled away,
- 6 gift bags that were beyond reusing,
- 18 random things that were in my bedside unit (old sunglasses etc)
- 12 tops, 2 pairs of trousers, 2 skirts
- A selection of magazines and catalogues
- 17 beauty empties
- 5 Christmas decorations that haven’t been used in the last couple of years
- 5 books that I’ve read and won’t re-read
- 35 various bits and bobs from the office – it’s surprising how much ‘stuff’ accumulates in that room!
- 4 candles used in the 2 month period
We didn’t get round to sorting out the garage this year. There’s a lot of items in there that simply need taking to the tip. Once we’ve done that, we can then look at what’s left and see what else we can get rid of.
I’ve learnt a lot from taking part in this year long project. It’s made me think about sustainability and consumerism. I did a shopping day with a personal shopper friend of mine earlier in the year. I’ve hardly bought any new clothes since then apart from a dress for a black tie event, a new small handbag to replace by broken one and a couple of other small pieces. I didn’t buy any new skincare or makeup products until November this year and that was simply to replace a few products I’d run out of.
Month 1 total – 145
Month 2 & 3 total – 240
Month 4 & 5 total – 220
Month 6 & 7 total – 111
Month 8, 9 & 10 total – 187
Month 11 & 12 – 138
FINAL total – 1,041
OK, so it’s still 1,959 products short of the target BUT I’m still pleased with the final number. If we’d cleared the garage and I was a little more ruthless, I think I could have got the total up to 1,500. I’ll be taking the lessons learnt from 2019 into 2020 and keep the clutter down in our home!